[PD] HID and timestamp

etienne deleflie et at lalila.net
Sat Aug 27 07:50:19 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm getting stuttering data output from my wacom tablet using the latest
HID.

stuttering .... I put a [timer] on the output of the abs X position
messages, and discovered that the HID object spits out around 4 X
position messages in one go ..... i.e. without any time delay.

I've got a patch where you can really hear this (it is using a vd~ to do
a dopler effect on ambisonic spatialisation stuff).... if I do a
straight consistent line on my Wacom, the output comes out all stuttery
and spitty.... and I have traced the reason to the fact that (around) 4
messages get spat out at once. NOTE: changeing the poll value of the HID
object does not aleviate the problem.

I concluded that this is what the timestamp (inlcuded in the USB
messages) is for.... right? .......... the USB driver _or_ the USB
device( I dont know about these things) instantaneously spits out 4 X
positions and includes the timestamp between them.... so it should be
(by using those timestamps) possible to get PureData to space out those
4 messages in time and hence get a smooth data line.

do I sound like I dont know what I am talking about? does anyone want to
educate me?

Etienne