[PD] joystick button-mashing

jsarlo at UCSD.Edu jsarlo at UCSD.Edu
Sun Aug 28 08:32:07 CEST 2005

Which OS are you using? Can you send me an example of your patch? The joystick
object sends both the button id and state for each button press event to avoid
any ambiguity (or at least it is supposed to!). So I'm not sure why your patch
is getting confused, but it might be that you (like any good Pd user) are
assuming that the rightmost outlet fires before the second-to-the-rightmost
outlet. The joystick object actually sends the button-id first and then the
button-state. So what you want to do is use a "trigger" object and an "int"
object to reverse the event ordering. Something like:

[ joystick ]
       | \
       |  \
       | [ t b f ]
       |  /    /
       | /    /
       |/    /
      /|    /
     / |    |
   [ int ]  |
     |     /
     |    /
     |   /
   [ pack ]

   [ route 1 2 3 4 ]

Here, the first four outlets of the "route" object should be the states of the
first four buttons.

Hope this helps,
Joe
jsarlo at ucsd.edu