[PD] A mute device

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 28 12:13:29 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> Hi. I came up with this as a way to mute a stream of numbers. Basically, I
> Is it illegal to send a "receive whatever" message to a non-GUI receive?

It is not illegal, but personally I consider renaming receives in GUI
objects a last resort, as this makes reading and understanding patches
much, much harder and can lead to subtle logic errors. For example I
had a rather hard time figuring out what your patch is supposed to do
by looking at it, until I opened all GUI objects to find the one which
has the "raty" or "nothing" receive.

In your patch it is not necessary to make things so complicated. Using
a [spigot] makes everything much clearer, at least accoding to my
taste.

Also your "set set $1" construct could be replaced by a simple [f]
where you can use the cold right inlet to store a number without
outputting until a bang arrives at the hot left inlet.

I illustrated this in the attached patch based on your previous
mute.pd

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44