[PD] launching pd from python

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Sep 2 16:22:06 CEST 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 12:38 PM, altern wrote:
> nico(e)k dio:
>>>
>> try with
>> pdexc = os.path.join(execdir, "/Pd-0.38-4-extended-RC1.app/
>> Contents/Resources/bin/pd")
>>

> i have been looking into it better and it looks like pd is kind of
> open.
> check attached screenshot.
> the terminal top command sais there is a process called pd running
>
> look at the two windows open on the left, one is a console and the
> small one is audio.pd which is the name of the file i am trying to
> open in pd. Looks like it doesnt fully get opened or something like
> that.
>
> maybe it would be easier to do a shell script to open both pd and
> python.

...I don't know much about python, but from your screenshot, I can
see a "Pd" process in 'top', but no "pd" process:  this has to do
with the version of pd you are trying to use..."Pd" in this case is
just the Wish Shell.app binary under a different name, so you are not
actually opening pd proper...

...my suggestion would be to use a "traditional" or "normal" version
of the command line version of pd, which would at least reduce the
number of variables you're dealing with...get that working, then try
it with the app_pkg version...

l8r,
jamie