[PD] limit in print

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Thu Sep 8 16:50:25 CEST 2005

zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> oh does it ?
> i think that's the 3rd time in the last week i am writing to pd-related lists
> (once to gem-dev, one to pd-list (or was it pd-dev ??) about this very behaviour
> of [print].

I found:

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-09/030947.html

"there is definitely i limit in [print];
there might be a limit in the symbol-length but i never found one (the
longest
symbol i ever made was some 20.000 chars long)"

The bug/feature I found concerns symbol lists, where the second symbol
is cut if it exceeds appr. 100 characters. Thus, I didn't see any link
to your comment about a limit of 20.000 chars and my bug report.

>>Is this a feature, a bug, is it documented, why not cut the first symbol
>
> i think none of them (i guess it's a safety check against locking the connection
> between pd and pd-gui; so that would be a feature if you have stability in mind;
> for most others it might appear a bug)

OK. I think, this behaviour should be mentioned in print-help.pd. What
is the right branch to check-in this kind of changes? (I've never
contributed to pd CVS)

br, Piotr

sure you contribute to any many other discussions which I neither read
nor understand. I'm just a pd user and I know it - there's no need to
remind me about that...

--
Piotr Majdak
Institut für Schallforschung