[PD] delay on startup and startup flags under OSX

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:59:43 CEST 2005

hi samuel

I started having this problem at some point during this year, i havent
used much pd for the last year until few weeks ago, the only thing i can
think off is that there is some midi device that it was not before. In
my case it is a firewire soundcard, a m-audio fw-410
But i never ever use MIDI. I tried to kill the sndcar process on the
terminal to see if there was something on it that was causing the
problem but it is there still.

Aparently thre are some problems with OSX distribution to be fixed yet.

best

Samuel Burt(e)k dio:
> Yep, I've been getting similar delays in 10.3.9 with a modified version
> of Hans installer.
>
> I just launched Pd from the command line inside the .app/Contents/MacOS/
> folder.  I'm not sure if I need to pass it some other flags, but I got a
> long stream of unending MIDI commentary that continues on through the
> normal operation of Pd:
>
> goomba:/Applications/Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC2-SB.app/Contents/MacOS sburt$
> ./Pd
> DebugAssert: Third Party Client: err== noErr [-536870163]  [line 283,
> file Shared/USBDevice.cpp]
> device @ 0x1A100000 - can't get descriptor
> 2005-09-02 11:47:37.537 MIDIServer[591] receiving message (running:1
> messageID:1 size:35)
> 2005-09-02 11:47:37.538 MIDIServer[591] MIDI in length:1 data:FE000000
> source:9810035
>
> and it just keeps repeating the last two messages over and over.  I even
> tried switching the MIDI in to a different device.  Are these statement
> just part of the normal running of Pd?
>
> Also, the -nogui flag doesn't seem to work for me, either.
>
> I haven't noticed any problems with my Pd installation running poorly
> with audio or MIDI.  I'm not too concerned about it, but I hope sharing
> my information helps debug the problem.
>
> Samuel Burt
>

> Message: 6 Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:12:28 +0200 From: altern
> <altern2 at gmail.com> Subject: [PD] delay on startup and startup flags
> under OSX To: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at> Message-ID:
> <431841AC.8050801 at gmail.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed hi *first question: few months ago I
> was asking about a strange delay that i was getting when launching PD on
> OSX. When i run Pd it opens and it takes few secs to react or to open
> the clicked file. I wrote a small script to lauch pd and I realised that
> on the terminal of the laucn script i get this mesage exactly when Pd
> comes 'back to life' CoreMIDI: timeout waiting for MIDIServer to start
> So i guess it is waiting for some MIDI device on the system to start or
> respond. anyone knows how to fix this? i dont use midi at all *Second
> question: in the same script i am passing PD some startup flags such as
> -nogui but this doesnt have any effect. Does this work under OSX or am i
> doing something wrong. thanks!
> -- altern

altern