[PD] getting ripped off...

Greg Wilder greg at gregwilder.com
Tue Sep 13 20:06:48 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 13:33 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> But then someone told me today about some fine print clause somewhere
> that says University of the Arts owns anything someone creates while
> they're here.

I doubt *very* seriously if this is true.

> Luckily, since no one here understands either the tuning systems or
> the inner workings of a PD patch, them knowing what I had in mind
> doesn't help them if they don't actually have it.

And how would it help them anyway?  What sort of market do you imagine
for what you're trying to create?

> So what I'm wondering is, is there such a thing as ownership with a PD
> patch?

PD is an graphical object oriented programming environment.  If you
create a "patch" in PD, you're really building a unique program using
the PD objects and interface.  While you can't "own" PD, I would think
that you can certainly claim ownership of your unique implementation of
the environment that PD provides.

Kinda like making music using Ardour or Hydrogen - you own the music,
even if you didn't create the original sound libraries and the program
code.  Or better yet - you could think of it like coding inside an IDE.

Best,
Greg