[PD] [OT] Darwinports vs Fink vs GentooOSX vs ???

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Wed Sep 21 17:38:07 CEST 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 10:43 AM, derek holzer wrote:
> Which system of *Nix ports for OSX have people been most successful
> with? I mean for getting all the dependencies down to install more
> audio/multimedia stuff on top of.
>
> Darwinports looks OK for basic libs, Fink seems really messy but
> maybe more complete, and OSXGentoo is more of a proof-of-concept
> than something usable as far as I can see. Suggestions in this
> department.

...fink is what I've used for the last 4 years...I've had no "show-
stopper" problems, just make sure you're grabbing from cvs/rsync...it
also installs both dylibs and statics, and dylibs will be linked
against before statics (unless you make things explicit), but this is
only meaningful if you are looking into portability between machines...

james