[PD] experiences building PD from CVS on PlanetCCRMA FC3

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Thu Sep 22 18:13:09 CEST 2005

On 20 Sep 2005, at 20:44, David O'Toole wrote:

> It doesn't use scons---actually I have to admit I don't know anything
> about scons, except that there are several parts of Pd that won't
> build with it (according to someone on Pd-list.)

Scons build isn't as complete as normal build on devel branch AFAICT,
but you should ask Tim about this...

> But I'd be happy to consider it if it confers some advantage or is
> considered the standard or Good Thing in some sense. Can you give me
> some details on it?

Hmm.

Ok so I guess first of all, go look at:

http://www.scons.org/doc/HTML/scons-user/book1.html

Then, I guess that if you're doing the normal checkout with:

  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data login

checking out:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co
-r devel_0_39 pd

and updates like:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data update
-d

I can assume that you will find the scons build scripts at:

devel_0_39/src/SConscript

Now, because the SConscript does platform detection like:

if pdenv['PLATFORM'] == 'darwin':

One can assume that all you have to do in theory is to type 'scons' at
the command line.

You will get output like:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for dlopen() in C library dl... yes
Checking for sin() in C library m... yes
Checking for pthread_create() in C library pthread... yes
Checking for main() in C library fftw3f... no
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...

And then gcc will start doing its job.

Scons is essentially a seriously easy and flexible software building
framework scriptable in Python.

At the end of it, you should get:

scons: done building targets.

If you do, it shouldn't be hard to add this to the existing bash script?

As I said, I can help if welcome, and I'd love to see this bash script
circulate.

Cheers,

David

--