[PD] beginner questions

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Sep 25 14:08:52 CEST 2005

liquidtree at gmail.com wrote:

> 1)The best tutorials to begin with?

The included documentation, espc the GEM documentation if that's what
your interested in... Then Miller's book, if audio is your thing:

http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm

There's a GEM tutorial and manual here, but I'm not sure how current
either doc is:

http://gem.iem.at/manual/
http://taproot.dyndns.org/~cgc/tutorial_gem/index.html

Also, if you didn't get the updated documentation in your installation
of PD, the you should really check out the Pure Data Documentation
Project (PDDP) files. If you got Miller's installer, then you didn't get
this probably, but if you ised one of HC Steiner's installers you
probably did...

http://www.davesabine.com/media/puredata.asp?action=pddp

> 2)What's the official PD site? There seem to be different mirrors....

It's a community-developed project, so there are lots of different
places where stuff happens. They aren't mirrors, just different aspects
of a large, diverse and sometimes differring group of people ;-) Main
stuff are the mailing list [here], and these:

http://puredata.org/
http://pd.iem.at/
http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/

There's a lot of good links here as well:

http://www.mortmain.com/pd.html
http://pd.klingt.org/webring/

And of course HC Steiner's alternative installers:

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

> 3)How do i align PD objects on the window?

In "Edit Mode", select objects and use the arrow keys to move them
around. Use Shift+arrow to move in bigger steps. Much easier than with
the mouse. You can also Select a group of objects and use the "Tidy Up"
function under "Edit", but this is pretty unpredictable and seldom used.

> 4)Is it possible to connect PD/GEM with Supercollider?

I would suggest using OSC as the bridge in this case, although there are
some projects to include SuperCollider classes in PD as objects.

good luck!
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl