[PD] newWave + video

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 27 13:23:40 CEST 2005

Hi Peggy,

> It seems floats aren't
> > accepted.

floats are working fine on my installation of GEM
(0.90.1) with pd 0.37 / 0.38.4 on win2k. I agree that
the default height values are pretty high, I found
values ranging from .01 to 0.3 useful.

> >  > Sometimes the texturing with a video doesn't
> work, and pd crashs.
> >
> > It seems to depend on the codec I use, for example
> cinepak doesn't work,

as johannes already stated, gem's codec support under
windows is a bit oldschool. gem does not use the
direct show api, which is pretty much the standard
nowadays. so if you have a specific direct show codec
installed that is working with other applications, you
cannot take it for granted that this codec will also
work with gem.
codecs that are definitely working are indeo (version
3.2, all others don't!) and huffyuv lossless. The
former produces bad-looking clips and does start to
stutter if you're using frame rates higher than 25
fps. huffyuv is okay quality-wise, also seeking works
fine, but playing more than 3 clips simultanously
pretty much maxes out even recent cpus. mpeg4 (xvid,
divx) is a no-go, since seeking in these files
produces funny-looking artifacts if you don't hit a
key frame.
avisynth is worth a look, but then again, it is not
possible to produce an avs script from within pd
(unless you are using an external scripting language
like python) - so you have to create them manually.
they should look something like

[myscript.avs)
directshowsource("\path\andnameofyourclip.avi")
converttorgb32

gem handles those faked avis quite fine, although
seeking does take a long time.

having said all this, you should also note that
newWave tends to screw up textures quite badly - see
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2005-04/027464.html

hope this helps (and doesn't discourage you from using
gem - it's till great!),
thoralf.