[PD] performance-problem with [print] on pd-0.39 on win

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 28 02:33:29 CEST 2005

hi carmen

one advantage came up to my mind, that is only related to pd-0.38: you
didn't need the shell anymore. but when using a startup-script to start
pd-0.39 on win, both, the shell and the main-window appear and you
cannot get rid of the 'unused' shell until you quit pd. (or do i miss
something to start from a script without shell?)

i just want to add, that - besides that - i really like 0.39, since some
gui-problems with patches, that do dynamic object-creation and
dynamically visualize/hide windows, disappeared.

good night
roman

"carmen" wrote

> > printing a lot of text eats my cpu on win and pd-0.39. i didn't test
on
> > pd-0.38, though, but on pd-0.37 i didn't get a specially high
cpu-load,

> send '-stderr' startup argv to pd.exe. i'm not convinced all of the
CPU load incurred in the old pd-gui is due to drawing text/graphics
since ive made some standalone scripts that do pretty crazy things like
display 25-50 fps color-spectrograms and oscilloscopes in pure
unaccelerated Tk that dont chew nearly as much as PD does for a few
lines of graphics or errorlog..

> > sorry to say that, but this is one reason for me to wish back the
old
> > 'print-to-shell'-style. another is, that the 'new' pd-window is very
big
> > and the fontsize is big, too (btw: is it possible to set the
fontsize of
> > the pd-window?)
>
> yeah by editing pd.tk. the one time i tried using it on windows it was
displaying \ in filenames with \\ instead, which was never a bug in
matjuconsole, but not annoying enough to track down..

> > excuse me, if there are some important advantages, that i don't see
yet.

> not really, other than the main window is now bigger, more annoying,
and chews cpu ;)