[PD] hdsp jack autostart

august august at develop.ment.org
Thu Sep 29 16:33:02 CEST 2005

> > After some listsearch I think I should do it like: hdsploader,
> > hdspmixer, jack, pd. Does anybody know, if this will work?
>
> this should work (at least this is the order we are doing by hand)

this also the order in which my card works.

however, after unplugging the hdsp card from electricity, I always have to
boot my computer twice.  first time I boot and do all the junk, the hdsp
card looks like it is working, but no sound.  on the second boot,
everything works fine.  note: I only need to do this when I unplug the
hdsp card.  if the hdsp is plugged into electricity between boots, then I
can carry on without booting twice.

> > has someone experience with more sophisticated autostart mechanisms,
> > like, which programs need run as a minimum, how to run hdspmixer from a
> > shell (I would like to run pd in -nogui mode), how to safely unmount the
> no chance to run hdspmixer from a shell at all.
> but somehow it should be possible to achieve the same via alsactl...

sure you can run hdspmixer.

make an ".xinitrc" file in your home directory.  in it put something like:

	hdspmixer &

you can also safely put other stuff in there if you like:

	jackd -d alsa &
	pd -jack mypathc.pd &
	xterm

but you might be better off doing this in some other star script and
killing X after you know hdspmixer has been run.   you only need to run
hdspmixer once - this initializes the card somehow.

---------

to login to X automagically

use mingetty on tty1 with the option --autologin
you set that in /etc/inittab

mine says this:
	1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

change it to something like this:
	1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty  --autologin myusername tty1

where "myusername" is the name you want to log into.

then in .bash_profile under "myusername", you'll want somthing to
automatically startx, like this:

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
  startx
fi

------

additionally, you can add a cron job to turn off the machine at a certain
time.....and set the bios for the machine to turn on at a certain time

---

as you can see, I am doing exactly the same thing as you are.  :)

alles gute -gustl.