[PD] deleting data structures

david golightly davigoli at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 00:05:04 CEST 2005

Hello list,

I'm trying to teach myself how to use the data structure feature in 0.38-3 -
it seems this feature is still very much under development - is there a way
to dynamically delete structures, to "un-append" them from a list?  I want
data structures to appear alongside sound-events, then expire as the events
pass on.

BTW, I find that the inconsistent terminology used in the documentation to
describe data structures makes it quite baffling to the neophyte, as terms
like "list" (a list of scalars) confuse with a normal pd list of atoms
(floats, symbols etc.) and they're treated quite differently.  Also, the
documentation hasn't been updated to reflect changes in the features
(templates, obsolete by 0.38, are still referred to in the docs, for
instance) - I would be more than willing to work with whomever has taken on
such things to see to it that the documentation gets proofread and checked
for consistency with each release - I've had no problem learning most of the
rest of PD but these data structures are something different altogether.  Or
does anyone else out there know of any better/revised documentation?  Do
many people find the data structures useful?  I think the idea has a lot of
potential but hasn't yet been worked out in all its details.  I'm interested
in seeing this happen.

Thanks,
David