[PD] [msgfile]-bug?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 3 11:11:31 CEST 2005

hi IOhannes

many thanks for the the detailed answer.

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:23:49 +0200
IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> first my rant of the day:
> i would highly appreciate if people would say which symbols they are
> entering to make it crash (even better would be a bugreport-patch that
> says "1st click here, 2nd click here, 3rd click here to crash")
> people tend to write "type some symbols and sometimes it will crash and
> sometimes not"; so what am i (as possible bugfixer) expected to do ??
> guess which symbols people typed ?
> end of the rant

i absolutely see your point. in this case i was pretty sure, that it will
crash for sure (not somtimes and sometimes not). so i thought, 'after 7 -
10 actions' would be information enough. it turned out, that it crashes
after the second action, after the first time a symbol was removed, what
would be a more accurate information.
for me it was not obvious, that i should tell, what symbols i entered,
because it does not depend on what symbols. maybe i should have explicitly
wrote, that it does *not* depend.

> a note on your patch:
> i think it is not very clever to send a "delete"-message every time
> something is omitted on the 1st outlet (you do so by triggering an [f]
> (hopefully set to something valid by the 2nd outlet of [msgfile]) with
> the 1st outlet.) (but it could well be, that you only do so, because it
> proved to delay/circumvent/... the reentrance problem a bit)
> and "find" changes the current position to the first matching line.
> [delete( (without argument) deletes the current line (not specifying the
> line# is more efficient, as you don't have to seek for the line; but i
> know this only because i just read the code...)

thanks again for the explanation and hints.

lg
roman