[PD] Re: [PD-dev] GridFlow documentation fundraising.

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 4 04:52:59 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I support all documentation efforts, of course, and GridFlow does sound
> quite useful, but I have to say, you don't need C, C++, or GridFlow to
> write your own Pd objects.  You can write Pd objects in Pd itself.

But languages are not created equal and that's (one of the reasons) why
there are so many of them.

If PureData was really easy to use all of the time I wouldn't have been
tempted to code so much of GridFlow in Ruby instead of PureData.

I'd like to tell people to code their object-classes in PureData itself
(i.e. as abstractions) all of the time, but I wouldn't feel that honest.
I'll be happier with PureData once the abstractions have access to the
same abilities as externals. Currently, abstractions are second-class
citizens in the PureData world.

> Looking forward to those docs, so we can sway more Jitter users to the
> open-source side of Max.

David is talking about the Ruby side of GridFlow, which has no equivalent
in Jitter.

Jitter is more like the rest of GridFlow coupled with something like
GEM-Geos or 3DP.

Recent versions of MAX can handle Java and JavaScript externals straight
out of the box. You can also get C++ and Python support using Flext and
Pyext. It would be possible to adapt gridflow/bridge/puredata.c so that it
also compiles as a MAX external (though I dunno who would do that, as I
can't even get someone to work on the OSX port of GF)