[PD] triggering vline~ compared with line~

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 4 17:28:50 CEST 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hm, somehow I assumed that tabwrite~ would not be block-quantized, but
> that it instead was time-accurate. Well,but if tabwrite~ records
> block-aligned, then the behaviour of vline~ inside the patch is fully
> correct. However somehow it frightens me, that setting the phase of a
> phasor~ is not time-accurate, but block-aligned as well ...

messages in pd are basically all block-quantized. (even t3_messages are
(this is: appear in the system) block-quantized, but they hold an
additional time-stamp that tells the t3~objects a sample accurate offset)

an object can emit a message during dsp-processing (this is: _not_
aligned to the block), but it shouldn't do so because a) it circumvents
pd's scheduler and all the tricks built in to provide a click-free
stream of sounds and b) this is still not sample accurate, because
whatever ~-object it tries to influence has either already finished
processing (so the message will modify the next block) or it is still
waiting for processing (so the block hasn't yet started and the message
will modify the "current block to come");
there is one notable exception: if the message is fed back to the object
that emitted it, it _could_ make a sample-accurate change: however,
because of the object's optimization in the dsp_routine() it is likely
that it will have an effect not before the next block.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes