[PD] Re: determine local IP address

scotgl at comcast.net scotgl at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 21:24:23 CEST 2005

http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/code/oscgroups/

is the pointer to Ross Bencina's page for his open source solution for getting OSC messages in a group withoout needing to type in a bunch of ip addresses. you basically just need to know the IP address of the server and the agreed upon send and recieve ports, usually high and out of the way of all the others, a username, groupname and password. Then you just use localhost and the server provides the other subscribers ip to the client.

We have been using it for about a year now and it is very robust. you can run the server locally or as we did where we used an OSC server in Barcelona from a gig in Rotterdam. In another case we used a server running in Valencia, Calif. was used for a performance in Berlin. Ther ewere no issues of latency since it is just polling to provide subscriber ip numbers.

Let me know if anyone is trying to do any network pieces. If I have time I would love to be involved.

Scot

--
Your name is Hamlet. Until recently, your life has been great ... 2B or not 2B