[PD] OSC help

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Thu Oct 6 10:34:47 CEST 2005

Hi Philip,

to get you running, a few hints:

- OSC implementation on Pd isn't complete (if you come from the official
OSC definition) but working well for what it already does.

- The individual objects can only be loaded when the _library_ [OSC] is
loaded. This is achieved either by adding it to the -lib startup flag or
by putting a [OSC] dummy object in a patch.
If you didn't do either and open one of the help patches it may look
like it is not working.

What you will do is:
- Put a [dumpOSC] object in the patch that listens to OSC messages.
Its only argument is the port number. It won't accept further messages.
It will give you all received OSC messages at its outlet.

- Put a [sendOSC] object in the patch that sends OSC messages
(In fact you will probably put a [dumpOSC] at the 'input' side or your
patch and a [sendOSC] at the 'output').
First you have to send it a [connect host port( message like [connect
localhost 9999(
Then you can send it [send OSCmessage( messages like
[send /synth/voices/[12]/on 1(
You can also bundle messages with the [[( and []( messages, but AFAIK a
Pd OSC server won't recognise the bundling.

- Put many [OSCroute] objects anywhere in your patch.
This module is just responsible for routing the messages according to
their namespace.

HTH
Urs