[PD] PD OSX installer/source 0.39 on Tiger 10.4

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Oct 6 14:32:32 CEST 2005

Howdy,

I just tried HC's Pd-0.39test2-extended-RC0 installer and found a couple
of  major performance issues when using a patch that runs fine on Linux.
First was that any [send~] or [outlet~] objects after the first in a
series would not function unless they were remade after the patch
opened. Second was that the response time to graphical input slowed to a
crawl for the entire system, not just PD.

So I downloaded Miller's pd-0.39-1test1 source to compile it and see if
there was a major difference between the devel branch and the straight
branch in this case. I already discovered that all the .app packages on
Miller's site don't run.  The   0.39.0 app reports an "unknown audio
API", and there is no preferences menu to switch to Jack anywhere.
And the 0.39-1test1.app doesn't get past the intial tcl/tk stuff.

But compiling doesn't work either. It has trouble with the Portaudio
includes:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/QD.framework/Headers/Video.h:294:

error: 'kPowerStateSleupCanPowerOffBit' undeclared here (not in a function)
../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c: In function 'InitializeDeviceInfos':
../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c:347: warning: comparison between
signed and unsigned
../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c: In function 'CopyInputData':
../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c:398: warning: comparison between
signed and unsigned
../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c: In function 'CopyOutputData':
../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c:427: warning: comparison between
signed and unsigned
make: *** [../portaudio/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.o] Error 1

Incidentally, even if I do a ./configure --disable-portaudio, it still
tries to build with it.

At this point I'd rather compile like I'm used to than use one of the
.app files. Suggestions appreciated.

thx,
d.