[PD] help - building txt reader Gem

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Mon Oct 10 11:04:45 CEST 2005

samuraiskillz at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> please have a look at the patch I have attached.
>
> I am trying to build a patch that reads from a txt file then outputs the
> text into Gem. I have done this. But I have a few questions that would
> help me take it further.
>
> At the moment I am getting a lot of errors, its probably something simple
> but I have not found what it is yet?

As I removed the connection between [textfile] and [text3d] I didn't get
any errors - your patch seems to work properly. To ensure showing all
words of a line add "list" to the begin of every line in your text file.

> One of the things I would like to do is get a piece of ascii art into Gem
> via a txt file, how do I get Gem to leave the spaces in? at present it
> just ignores more than one space.

AFAIK [text3d] displays elements of a list and I don't know a way to
generate an element of list with a blank. You'd want to use an escape
character to code blanks in lists - AFAIK pd doesn't support such a
thing (does it?).

> I have the text moving up the screen, how would i get it to read each line
> of the txt file in order one at a time and display them without killing
> the previous line (think titles at start of starwars, ish).

What about one [text3d] for every line, moving up? It'll be a little bit
sofisticated to synchronize all the [text3d] with one [textfile] - maybe
you could try one [textfile] for every [text3d]?

br,
piotr

--
Piotr Majdak