[PD] help - building txt reader Gem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Oct 10 11:24:55 CEST 2005

Piotr Majdak wrote:

> AFAIK [text3d] displays elements of a list and I don't know a way to
> generate an element of list with a blank. You'd want to use an escape

if you want words, just use separate list atoms: a 3-atom list "1 2 3"
will result in a text "1 2 3" (with blanks!)
if you really want symbols with blanks, use [makefilename] and or
[list2symbol], but there should be no need for it here.

> character to code blanks in lists - AFAIK pd doesn't support such a
> thing (does it?).
>
>> I have the text moving up the screen, how would i get it to read each
>> line
>> of the txt file in order one at a time and display them without killing
>> the previous line (think titles at start of starwars, ish).
>

> What about one [text3d] for every line, moving up? It'll be a little bit
> sofisticated to synchronize all the [text3d] with one [textfile] - maybe
> you could try one [textfile] for every [text3d]?

yes, i'd also suggest using something like multiple [text3d]s.
in the current CVS of Gem, the text-objects support multilined text (but
you are on your own to generate a linebreak within a list!).
it really depends on the text you want to do, whether this fits or not
(e.g. if you have 1000 lines of text but you only want to display 5
lines at a time, you might be better off using 5 [text3d] objects
instead of going through the hazzle with linebreaks)

mfg.asdr.
iOhannes