[PD] help - building txt reader Gem

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Mon Oct 10 12:08:54 CEST 2005

Hi!

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> if you want words, just use separate list atoms: a 3-atom list "1 2 3"
> will result in a text "1 2 3" (with blanks!)

Maybe it's a silly newbie question, but: I couldn't generate a list with
  multiple blanks in it. I tried following versions:
- [list 1  2 3( which results in 1 2 3 (as I'd expect)
- your example: [list "1  2 3"( which results in "1 2 3", cause " is not
a string quota
- [list 1 / 2 3( results in 1 / 2 3
- [list 1 \ 2 3( can't be input (pd: "\\: dropped")

I even tried some weird things like:
- [list 1   2 3(
- [list '1  2 3'(
- [list 1 /0x20 2 3(
- [list 1 #0x20 2 3(
- [list 1 &0x20 2 3(

Blanks you suggested are just atom separators, so it's a special case of
blanks in a string. Dominic wrote about ascii art with multiple blanks.
How to encode a text file with multiple blanks which will be correctly
read by [textfile]?

br and lG aus Wien, Piotr

--
Piotr Majdak