[PD] help - building txt reader Gem

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Oct 10 12:27:03 CEST 2005

samuraiskillz at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> Thanks for the advice everyone.
>
> Yes the error was obvious, sorry.
>
> The blanks is causing a problem as in some ascii art there can be just one
> character placed at any point on a line. But I need to keep the formatting
> of the line.

sorry i didn't fully understand your problem.
hopefully i now do: you need to preserve multiple blanks in a row.
actually this is a problem with the parser of [textfile]/[msgfile],
which automatically strips duplicate whitespaces.

however, multiple whitespaces are per se not a problem when it somes to
[text3d]: using a tricky combination of whitespace symbols (made with
[makefilename]) and concatenating them with [l2s] can produce any number
of blanks within a symbol.

another possibility is, that the CVS-version of the text-objects can
also be fed by ascii-code instead of symbols, compatible with moocow's
pd-string library.

see attached file for examples for both ideas.

most probably it would be the simplest way, to just write an ascii-art
reading object that outputs the ascii-encoded image. (using symbols for
strings is sub-optimal)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes