[PD] pdp_qt crash

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Tue Oct 11 19:18:20 CEST 2005

ola,

Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo again!
>
> just tried [pdp_rec~] because I also need it and I also get a crash
> and really the same backtrace as with [pdp_qt] ... (see below)

not really surprised...

> So, my question:
> I am not forced to use quicktime - I need it for a live performance,
> where I record video and audio live and then play then back in a
> condensed form (so with many videos at the same time ...)
>
> I know you only work with theora now, so is this also possible with
> theora? Doesn't it use much more CPU for de/encoding (I only tried it
> very short - and in my performance my computer is on the limit ...)
> and it is not really possible to seek in it, right?

you're right for both questions :
theora is mas pesado
and you cannot seek in it easily.
for the first issue ( the performances ),
we're hopping optimisations of theora libraries,
for the second issue, i'm afraid there is little to do.

> If it is possible, I will of course also switch to theora (only wanted
> to hear your opinion, before I reprogram everything) - otherwise I
> will try to debug [pdp_qt]/[pdp_rec~] in some way ... ?

uff, that's very difficult, the difference with lqtplay
comes from the fact of using some real rime options
or somehing like that
( i'm quoting this from Tom's experience of debugging libquicktime,
but Tom seems to have vanished anyway ).
i can only advise to use a stable libquicktime ( 0.9.1 )

suerte,
sevy