[PD] getting midi controller to work ...

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Wed Oct 12 13:59:52 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I need a little help with getting my midi controller
(edirol pcr-50) to work with pd (emerged 0.37) and
linux (gentoo 2.6.12-r10).

alsa is up and running, aconnect -i -o gives me the
following outpout:

client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 64: 'Audigy MPU-401 (UART)' [type=kernel]
    0 'Audigy MPU-401 (UART)'
   32 'Audigy MPU-401 #2'
client 65: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
    0 'Emu10k1 Port 0  '
    1 'Emu10k1 Port 1  '
    2 'Emu10k1 Port 2  '
    3 'Emu10k1 Port 3  '
client 80: 'PCR' [type=kernel]
    0 'PCR MIDI        '
    1 'PCR 1           '
    2 'PCR 2           '

... so i guess that the controller gets recognised by
both the usb subsystem and alsa. The controller also
shows up in the graphical alsa-patch-bay.
however, I can't get it to work with pd: pd -alsa
-listdev gives me a "no midi input/output devices
found" error message.

Do i really have to use a virmidi soundcard to get
those midi signals into pd? this would be a bit odd,
since it involves yet another "man in the middle" ...

thank you for your help,
thoralf.