[PD] problems with the PeRColate library

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Thu Oct 13 04:01:48 CEST 2005

Greetings all,

In my recent work I've been working with the wonderful PeRColate library.
Unfortunately, I had discovered that the Pd/Linux version of this library
has a bug in the cool "munger" object that is capable of real-time granular
synthesis. By experimenting with it, it seems that the parameter values are
not interpreted linearly, but rather, what would be a range of 1-100 is on
linux something like 0.0000001 to something like 0.0001. Without looking at
the source code, I am not sure whether the values are distributed linearly
and just the decimal point is out of whack or if the values are also
distributed in some weird fashion. The best way to test this is to take the
example patch and try to apply some of the values that are found as presets
in the MaxMSP version and it will become quickly obvious what I am talking
about. For this reason, munger also quickly eats up all the CPU as the
number of grains parameter tends to encumber the processor for obvious
reasons (i.e. value of 1 sent to this parameter in Linux version could be
equivalent to something like one million grains or something similarly
preposterous).

I am very much interested in using munger in conjunction with Pd and for
this reason I was wondering whether anyone on this list was familiar with
the port of this lib and was possibly able to look into this bug. I'd be
happy to assist as much as my time allows which unfortunately until the end
of this calendar year won't be much at all :-(.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/