[PD] MIDI Recorder?

Ryan Supak ryansupak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 08:20:50 CEST 2005

Hi PeeDee List, here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1) Record a MIDI stream of a non-predetermined length
2) Play said MIDI stream back on-the-fly

At first I thought I could do this with a few Tabwrites and Tabplays in
parallel, but

1) then I thought "What if, say, CC25 and CC35 are coming in at the same
time? Would it get confused, or does MIDI do some kind of "staggering" where
exactly one MIDI message is coming in at a time?

2) to create a variable-sized buffer with Tabwrite, it seems like I would
basically have to increase the size of the table by 1 at the MIDI control
rate (500 Hz or whatever it is). I was concerned that this might lead to
glitches.

***

At any rate, it seems like a fairly common task to accomplish, so I thought
I'd ask here before reinventing the wheel...

Thanks for any thoughts!
rs