[PD] MIDI Recorder?

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Fri Oct 14 09:49:58 CEST 2005

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Supak wrote:

> Really, at this point, the only question I have is "what's the best PD
> item to use to create a dynamically-resizable array?  Maybe the answer
> is to increase the buffer size in one-second increments, then trim after
> recording is done.

Changing of size of an array leads to a problem if the new size is not
available in one block in the memory. In this case, a new memory block
must be allocated and old data copied to the new one. This happens if
you have strong fragmented memory usage in your OS - what is hard to
control because it depends on the rest of applications you run on your
machine (and the OS you use, of course). Allocating a big memory piece
before processing is always a good idea.

But, this doesn't answer you question, sorry :-(

 > Yes, I've since found out that 31.5K baud is the control rate --  and
 > that I would need six tabwrites in parallel to get everything I'm
 > after -- three for notes, three for CCs.  (Not worried about pitchbend
 > and program-change)

Do you use _one_ MIDI out cable? How can you get more than 31250baud,
then? (see: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi>, sections "The MIDI
specifications" and "low bandwidth"). Or is it a kind of virtual MIDI
with higher bandwidth?

br, Piotr

--
Piotr Majdak