[Fwd: Re: [PD] numberstream, parsing]

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Mon Oct 17 09:20:25 CEST 2005

Hi Matthijs,

Matthijs van Henten wrote:
> Piotr, how do you mean with sending the data in OSC directly?

If I properly understand you, you developed the software/firmware for
the PIC and you convert your data to ASCII before sending them via
serial port of th PIC.

My idea was to change your PIC software, sending the data in OSC format.
As long as you have integer data you can easily send the address and the
value, e.g.
/Sensor1 VALUE
/Sensor2 VALUE

where value is an integer representing the value of a sensor, encoded
according to the OSC protocol.

This would give you some advantages:
- No conversion to ASCII in PIC
- Structured protocol
- Open, not proprietery format
- No conversions in pd
- Parsing objects in pd available.

> My main goal was to convert the number stream coming from the pic into
> OSC anyways :)

If you can't change the PIC software, then forget my idea and look for
the ascii external marc mentioned.

br, Piotr

--
Piotr Majdak