[PD] beginners Fiddle~ questions

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 11:23:48 CEST 2005

Hi Conor,

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 09:07 -0700, Conor wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> very new to this PD malarky... so please be a little patient.
> I have ruditmentary question on the output of the fiddle~ object. I
> simply do not know on what type the pitch (left most output) is ? Is it
> in terms of MIDI(0-127), some arbitrary scale?
It is on the MIDI note 'scale', but expressed as a floating point
number, with 4 decimal places of precision. This gives you the ability
to work out microtonal deviations from pitch.

You can verify this by doing something like:

float in (MIDI note number)

mtof

osc~

fiddle~ 2048

float out

mtof and ftom convert between frequency and MIDI.

> Seems to be mapping 1 per semitone. The fiddle~ in my patch has npoints
> arguments =  2048 ( i noticed that any size smaller produces a very
> erratic response), 1  for the number of pitches to output and the last
> two arguments empty. I was using a guitar(semi-acoustic) as input.
> totally rookie question but has me stumped.
There is trade of with FFT (which fiddle uses), where a smaller window
will give you better resoultion in time but worse frequency resolution
and vice versa. Do a Google for 'fft bin', that should throw up some
theory.

Jamie