[PD] example of glitches when loading with soundfiler on devel

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Tue Oct 18 13:21:20 CEST 2005

> What about loading every sample into arrays before you start
> playing? This would provide click-free sample loading with any
> version of Pd. It is limited by how much memory you have in your
> computer, but memory is cheap these days.

well, this won't work, if you're using a lot of soundfiles, that you
either want to select on the fly. memory might me cheap, but sound
still takes a lot of memory:
32bit * 96000 Hz * 2 channels * 1 hour = 2.7 GB
maybe you can find a machine holding that, but then use 4 channels ...

> > this is an example of soundfiler running on linux, 2.6.12, pd 0.39
> > devel (2 months old):
> > http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=8570
> >
> > is there a way to avoid the glitches when changing the sampling
> > (very light wav 32bits float)?

i recently implemented a threaded soundfiler as external that's using
libsndfile to read samples.
since it's using devel's idle callbacks, it won't run on miller's pd ...

if you're running miller's pd, there are other hacks

mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

latest mp3: kMW.mp3
http://mattin.org/mp3.html

latest cd: Goh Lee Kwang & Tim Blechmann: Drone
http://www.geocities.com/gohleekwangtimblechmannduo/

would say "I want to see the manager."
				      William S. Burroughs