Compiling externals was [Re: [PD] ordered numbers]

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 11:47:45 CEST 2005

There is no generic way to compile source code. Sometimes the compiler
is invoked directly, but usually there is some scripting system such as
make or scons.

Very common (on unixes):

./configure       (builds the correct Makefile for your system)
make              (runs the relevant build commands in the Makefile)
make install      (places the compiled files in the correct directories;
			usually you must be root to do this)

for this you will need the make utility and a compiler installed.

Also becoming more popular is scons:

scons
scons install     (usually as root)

for this you will need Python and a compiler installed.

An easy way to install _all_ the externals from the CVS is:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co -
P externals

cd externals/build
scons
sudo scons install

To checkout an individual library or external,simply:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co -
P externals/external_or_library_name

cd externals/externals_or_library_name

Then read the README or install instructions. For zexy on *n*x it is

cd src
autoconf         (for this you will need the autoconf utility installed)
./configure
make
sudo make install

If none of this works for you let me know, let me know and I'll send you
the binary this afternoon.

Gosh! Did I just write a mini how-to?

Jamie