Compiling externals was [Re: [PD] ordered numbers]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Oct 22 00:46:35 CEST 2005

Jamie Bullock wrote:

> Well, that reminds me; I forgot to add that in cases where a Makefile is
> included, but no configure script, it is usually necessary to
> 'personalise' the Makefile manually. As IOhannes infers, there is
> usually an INSTALL.txt, README, or other useful instructions. If there
> is insufficient documentation provided to enable someone to work out the
> compile process, I think there are grounds to ask the developer for
> guidance.

i totally agree.
while i have written that normally there are README, INSTALL.txt and the
like around, it is a sad fact, that often they are missing.

> Yes, this is a fine solution. However, I think that ad hoc solutions
> like this should be avoided, because by not using the developer's own
> build system, you are working around possible errors. Errors, which
> should they exist are better reported and fixed than avoided.

i totally agree too (although i am not that innocent in that respect,
like when it comes to the unfixed configure in Gem (fixed in CVS but not
in the last release)

mfg.adsr
IOhannes