[PD] Rradical prob ... im new

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Oct 23 22:02:15 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Matthew Williams hat gesagt: // Matthew Williams wrote:

>     I'm new to the list  so i know i'll ask some very basic questions
> so i apologize.  I really want to get to know pd and hopefully make
> some nice real time midi manipulation patches,  and audio manip.
> patches.  My first problem involves the Rradical abstractions.  I've
> installed the Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC2,  so i could be up a running with
> GEM, osc, zexy,  and all the externals,  and abstractions.  However,
> whenever i try to load a Rradical patch i get this error
>
> commun /volume $0
> ... couldn't create
>  originator /mypatch $0
> ... couldn't create
>  careGUI
> ... couldn't create
> error: inlet: expected '' but got 'float'
> ... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.

You don't have the patches, that make up the core RRADcial system, in
your Pd-path. The core normally is in a directory called "memento". I
don't know, where this is on your machine ... In it, you should be
able to find abstractions called "originator.pd", "commund.pd",
"careGUI.pd" and some more. You can add this directory to your patch
by using Pd's "File -> Path" menu entry.

> I can't seem to get up and running with abstractions or externals.
> Allthough the tutorial patches all work fine.  Also,  how might i
> upgrade to Pd 0.39.1 without losing all the stuff the pd extended
> version has made available to me.

It is very likely that some externals (like the flext-externals)
compiled for 0.38 will not work with 0.39, so you need to upgrade
these externals as well. The best thing to do in the long run is to
learn how to compile your own stuff, which isn't too hard to do on
OS-X (although I'm not the right person to talk about this.) Some
instructions were posted here some days ago. Another thing to figure
out would be how to install all dependencies for all the externals and
the build system (scons, autotools etc.) I think, Mac users can use
Fink for this, but I don't have a Mac ...

Ciao