[PD] switch~ & cputime

dafydd hughes dafydd61 at sideshowmedia.ca
Mon Oct 24 21:35:31 CEST 2005

Hi all

Okay.  I'm stumped.

Recently, I've noticed that my cpu meter has been steadily rising.  I
think I may have found the culprit.

A while back I thought I'd put a power switch (just a switch~ object)
on my poor-man's granular delay line, as my performance patches are
getting a bit bulky.

Try this (if you have the time):

http://www.sideshowmedia.ca/cputest.zip

cputest.pd: (needs expr, but I think that's all)

1. turn on audio in pd, but leave the power (p toggle) in "lois"
off.  Watch the cpu meter climb (over a period of 5 minutes or so -
the toggle prints the cputime every 10 seconds).  On my computer (G4
Powerbook, HCS extended 0.38.4) it starts around 5% and hits 10%
after 5 minutes.

2. Do the same with "lois" on.  For me, cpu hovers around 13-14%.  No
increase.

3. Repeat step 1.  After 10-15 minutes, cputime is higher than with
"lois" on.  Switch "lois" on, and cpu drops.  Huh?

I have no idea what's going on, but am I missing something
important?  Thanks in advance.

cheers
dafydd