[PD] its kinda funny

carmen ix at replic.net
Tue Oct 25 03:17:54 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:04:58PM -0400, Matthew Williams wrote:
> he i just joined the list ... so maybe i'm making the wrong assumption.
>  But is 90% of most of the posts related to getting PD and and
> "addittiona"l products (libs,  externals etc.) installed correctly.

probably. with any unfinished product especially a free one without a suite of enterprise-grade testers with an array of obsolete hardware/OSes there are going to be questions/issues...sending to a seperate mailbox works great, often i'll delete everything (For example i dont care about PDP compilation...or OSuX)

> I'm definitely having problems myself ... it seems like there'd be a
> comprehensive tutorial on installation/compiling for mac , linux and
> windows...  Maybe it's because i'm not that great with shells and
> commandline.  But i'd like to get past the initial installation phase
> and get on with creating and manipulating music. Although i do like the
> challange it presents and it's getting me much more familiar with my
> OSX system (ie. how to compile sources) so it's not all bad just

yeah, there is a variety of options for OSX to avoid compiling, notably HCS, miller, and tigital's binaries... did you try all of those before venturing into the realms of roll-your-own? i suppose the various paths people arrive at pd they may not know of the various options, do you have an idea how to improve this?