[PD] more compilation probs

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 26 15:37:28 CEST 2005

Matthew Williams wrote:
> install -d //usr/local/lib/pd/bin
> install: mkdir //usr/local/lib/pd: Permission denied
> make: *** [install] Error 71
>
> this was trying the "make install" method so i can just type pd and the
> program starts.  does this error mean i'm not signed on as the
> superuser?

yes

>  When i try make and make depend i get this:  As the only
> user of my computer i'd think i'm by default the superuser.

no.
the power of superuser has nothing to do with the number of people using
a computer.
"root" (as the superuser is normally called on unices) is an
administrative account, while your normal user account is a, well, user
account.

but why? to prevent people who don't know what they are to do any damage.
just imaging you (as the only user of your machine) would do
"cat /dev/null > /dev/sda"
(try it as normal user; then try it as super user; then don't blame me
for an unusable computer! (so don't try it out))

so the conclusion is: yes you need to be su to modifiy certain parts of
the file system in order to protect you from yourself.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes