[PD] more compilation probs

Matthew Williams mwilliams994 at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 23:04:59 CEST 2005

> For the beginning don't care about externals, as you probably won't
> need
> them. When teaching Pd I always tell my students to use Millers
> version,
> because as soon as they realize that there might be an external that
> solves their problem, they go crazy and search for externals and try
> to compile them instead of thinking about how to solve their problem ..
> and fail to learn Pd and to get anything going.

thats a really good point!!!!   But to be honest i'm a little scared
i'm not going to have the patients (or  brains) it'll take to make the
sort of things i want.  Basically i want a some sort of midi patches
where i can turn knobs and restructure rhythms in realtime.  Sort of
like the buffer override  (but affecting midi instead of audio),  and
more coherent .  I'm know people have created these things,  but like
you said it's just not the same as figuring it out yourself.  One i'm
thinking of in particular is the "glitch" vst plugin.  But it's sorta
lame to just use a plugin built by someone else, although it does sound
tight .. i won't use it besides it's not for os x anyway.  So thats my
main goal for the moment.  Since you teach pd,  and have seen lots of
different types of people use pd... what is the learning curve for
someone of average intelligence.  Is it the kind  of thing where like
one day it'll click and i'll be able to do any sort of thing i can
think of.  Because at the moment i have to go over tutorials 3 times
before i really grasp what tha hell is actually going on.  Even then i
don't feel like i could create anything from what i've learned... but
then again i'm only 1/2 through the control samples so it's a little to
soon to tell if i really can  "get it".   Do you have text book for
you're class?  Or a syllabus i could look at? Anyway.... thanks for the
advice!!!

matt