[PD] more compilation probs

david golightly davigoli at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 27 01:31:15 CEST 2005

It looks like you're entering 'sudo install' when maybe what you mean is
'sudo make install'.  Also, once you long in as root (by using 'sudo'), you
stay logged in for the next few minutes and don't necessarily have to 'sudo'
every time.

This last discussion about the value of externals has been interesting to
me.  I've found that most control/DSP algorithms can be executed just fine
in PD using only abstractions.  I'm sure most everyone who's used PD for
more than a few weeks has accumulated a library of utility-type abstractions
that get used again and again for various purposes.  There are some
externals, however, that can do things PD just won't let you do - processing
symbols as C-style strings, for example, or the [expr] set of externals - I
don't know who would get along without it.  I've really enjoyed some of the
improvements brought about in 0.39, most notably the [list] object and some
of the vast improvement in the data structures - but I'd love to see some of
these basic "building-block" externals get judiciously added to the core.
Things like chaos externals, granulator patches, various random number
distributions, reverbs, and so on - these are things that it behooves the
student of computer music to learn anyway.  But there could be a little more
flexibility in manipulating basic elements.  Possibly even eventually a nice
table-sorting algorithm, too.  I've got one in my toolkit but it's nice to
have one that's really expertly optimized.

All the same, PD is quite powerful and offers a very flexible environment
for audio and control.  I find that about 90-95% of any patch I make is
going to be control, not signal, so learning how the various control
techniques work is essential.  Moreover, most of the stuff you need to know
in order to really use PD isn't software-specific - you're learning DSP
stuff that will apply whether you're using PD, Max, SuperCollider, Csound,
what have you, and that's the same stuff that, underneath all the pretty
window dressing makes packages like Live and Reason produce the results
you're used to.  So, yes, I second Frank's recommendation of the Dodge/Jerse
text - all that stuff in the PD tutorial will make a lot more sense with
that background.

Hope that helps!

David

homepage: