[PD] firewire camcorders and the never ending saga (ioctl issues)

Jon Weisz signalvsnoise at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 06:25:54 CEST 2005

After two weeks of debugging, i'm finally reduced to problems google can't
help me with. I'm using a sony camcorder over Firewire and I've mounted
devfs on /dev. This is on a freshly installed debian testing with the newest
GEM(0.90-18) and puredata packages in Debian unstable. When I try the
00simplevideo tutorial with the only modification being to add the |Driver
1( message I get an error on stderr:

initializing: Invalid argument

on further examination using strace i've tracked the error down to this
system call:

15107 open("/dev/ieee1394/dv/host0/PAL/in", O_RDWR) = 8
15107 ioctl(8, FIBMAP, 0xbfda9c30) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)
15107 write(2, "initializing: Invalid argument\n", 31) = 31
15107 close(8)

so its successfully opening the device, at least, but failing on the ioctl.

read/write permissions for /PAL/in are everybody, so thats not it...

Any suggestions? I'm pretty much at my wits end here. Right now, all I'm
trying to do is have the program display video from the Firewire camera.
Once that works, I want to use PD to add effects like text overlay and
reflecting the video across a vertical axis live in real-time. I think Gem
and PD are the right tools to do that, but I can't seem to get over this
Firewire problem.

Thanks,
Jon Weisz