[PD] functional generator for DIY-ing

cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Thu Oct 27 20:07:57 CEST 2005

Unfortunately, you can go through the tutorials and still not be able to
build what this gentleman wants.

Why?

Because, as I understand it, to make the objects he wants in PD you have
to understand all the math in Miller Puckette's book (see chapter 10 on
making classic waveforms). Things like square waves are complicated when
synthesized from scratch in a digital environment.

If he wants to do it quickly, I would suggest instead Googling to find the
externals that people have already built, rather than spending 5 years
learning how to build square waves and filters. The wheel has already been
invented.

I will say, once again, I do wish that there was a decent library of PD
"primitives" (basic waveforms, MIDI toolbox, GUI mixer with pan faders,
and most common effects) all in one place, that was cross-platform
compatible. Lack of these things caused me to only use PD to test ideas,
and to use Plogue Bidule (which has built in HID for Windows) and Reaktor
to build my actual instruments. PD is "better" in its internal logic than
these, but it lacks enough building blocks to be of any use in the "real
world", for me at least.

~David