[PD] NameError: name 'pyext' is not defined

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Thu Oct 27 23:11:42 CEST 2005

Hi Koray,

Koray Tahiroglu schrieb:

> Hello Thomas, hello everybody,
>
> I just compiled py library for Pd, and the examples, which are
> located inside the package seem like they work fine when I ran the
> related pd file with related pyext obj exp [pyext simple ex1].
>
> When I modify the py file, and run the script inside python, it gives
> me the following error.
>
> File "simple.py", line 73, in '?'
>         class ex 1(pyext._class):
> NameError: name 'pyext' is not defined
>
> is it so that the python, in my system, does not understand pyext, or
> am I doing something wrong ( or not doing anything) for pd to see the
> changes in py file?
>
> How will I be able to make it right so that pyext objects will just
> run perfectly well:-)

pyext is a module that is generated inside the py/pyext external and is
not available in normal Python.
In principle you can declare and use Python classes within pyext without
inheriting from pyext._class if you don't use self._outlet, self._send
and so on.
On the other hand it doesn't make much sense to use these in plain
Python (outside PD) because they are supposed to stand for PD externals

best greetings,
Thomas