[PD] functional generator for DIY-ing

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Oct 28 00:05:29 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > Unfortunately, you can go through the tutorials and still not be able
> > to build what this gentleman wants.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Because, as I understand it, to make the objects he wants in PD you
> > have to understand all the math in Miller Puckette's book (see
> > chapter 10 on making classic waveforms). Things like square waves are
> > complicated when synthesized from scratch in a digital environment.

You can also copy this stuff from the example patches.

> > If he wants to do it quickly, I would suggest instead Googling to
> > find the externals that people have already built, rather than
> > spending 5 years learning how to build square waves and filters. The
> > wheel has already been invented.
>
> thanks for this post ...
> there is a huge difference between music and music software!!!

Indeed, but, quote, "a functional generator for DIY-ing purposes:
sine, pulse with different fillings, switches for freq/level ranges,
sliders for freqs/levels, mixing, white/pink noise, and all this under
JACK routing" to my ears sounds more like software than music.

Regarding "doing it quickly": The closest thing I know to do stuff
like that quickly is Dave McCallum's collection of objects and the
RRADical patches by me, combined with things like LADSPA plugins and
your SC-externals.

Nevertheless all this will stay unusable if one doesn't know the
basics of Pd which can be learned very well through the tutorial
patches and the html manual.

Ciao