[PD] Usb lights

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Fri Oct 28 22:55:23 CEST 2005

hello robert and all,

Am Freitag 28 Oktober 2005 22:17 schrieb robertgarvin at bellsouth.net:
> What about this... I just remembered that i have a joystick that connects
> to the computer via a 15-pin plug. to accomodate more modern computers, it
> came with a usb-to-female 15-pin connector... would that be the same as
> having a 15 pin port on the compy, allowing me to use "little LED lights?"

no. the adapter you have is only usable for your joystick. usually, those
adapters are nothing more than 2 plugs and some wire. there is (usually!) no
translation between usb and the other port happening.
the device itself (in this case the joystick) can already use usb, the chip
inside it will do that. it is the same as with mice: they come with a usb
plug attached, and a usb -> ps/2 adapter, but its the mouse that can do usb
and ps/2, not the adapter.

> I assume there would have to be some sort of driver or something, or a pd
> [object]. I have no knowledge of creating drivers, or circuits, but would
> be willing to learn.

the multio that im doing is probably a bit overkill for you (unless you plan
to control more stuff with your computer in the future).
you mught want to take a lokk at this here:

http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~dano/CUI/

if you are unable to do that simple circuit yourself, i would be happy to help
you with that. here i have all the needed stuff like programmer, iron, etc...
you just need to send me the parts & stuff so i can build it for you.

of course the same is true for everybody else ... if you need something
electronic, but cant do it yourself, ask me ..... im sure we will find a
way ...

> -Robert

greetings,

chris