[PD] midi pd and logic

Julian Peterson julianpeterson at mac.com
Sat Oct 29 16:43:21 CEST 2005

I have had much luck with this.  There are a couple of things you
will need:

The first is jack, which is an audio server that can be used to route
audio data between applications.  It can be found here:
www.jackosx.com

Secondly, you need a version of PD that is compiled with Jack
support.  Miller's official version does not include jack support for
the Mac (at least, I don't believe it does), so I use the HCS
version, which can be found here:
http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

OSX has a built in midi routing bus called the IAC bus (inter-
application connect) that can be used to send midi between Logic and
PD.  You'll need to be careful when using this with Logic because you
can easily cause MIDI loops that will lock up your computer.  I got
it working by using the channel splitter in Logic's environment setup
to allow logic to only receive midi on a few specific channels and
then not using those channels with the IAC bus.  Setting up the logic
environment is the most difficult part of this whole operation
(beyond learning how to use PD, of course).  If you need help with
setting up Logic, email me off list and I can be more specific.

Once I got everything setup properly, it was easy to integrate the
two.  My studio these days is Logic, Pure Data, and Csound (with the
blessed csoundapi~ object).

Hope that helps.

Julian