[PD] max msp vs pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Nov 1 06:14:03 CET 2005

On Oct 29, 2005, at 4:24 PM, carmen wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 04:04:20PM -0400, day 5 wrote:
>> Oh man isn't that some truth!! I learned Max and bought a $60 nine
>> month student license and at the end I was *NOT* convinced it was
>> worth
>> the $$$ those greedy guys are after.
>
> hrmm. if i really wanted to use a graphical dataflow patcher
> environment right this minute/second/day, id proably consider buying
> max. ive certainly spent $495 of my time trying to make PD acceptable,
> and would proably need a lot more to get it there. i mean the basics
> like "click a icon, and it just works" for one... not to mention all
> the usability improvements, video and openGL stuff in the patcher,
> wrap-to-plugins etc..

Well, the Pd.app is now easier to install than Max on Mac OS X.  Just
drag-n-drop and double-click.  Now that Jamie got a statically linked
PDP working, that works too.  It is possible to get it working very
nicely, it just takes some work.  Just look how far we have come.  For
an demo of this, check out pure-data.org from Dec. 2001:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011202213922/http://www.pure-data.org/

> but a lot of things that are a limitation in one are a limitation in
> the other, i mean why do you see so many cases of hacking in languages
> (javascript in max, everying-but-javascript in pd) instead of
> extending/flexibilitating the core so that you dont think "damnit, i
> need ruby for this..."

I totally agree!  Pd can be a programming platform, it does not need to
be just an application.  All great programming platforms are written in
themselves: C, Java, Lisp, SmallTalk, etc. so why not Pd too?  It needs
some work to accomplish this, but it is within reach.

.hc