[PD] peakit~ (was binline~) v0.1

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 22:46:16 CET 2005

Jamie, Sam, George, and...

I am already kind of stupid by not spotting the peak~ flib - since I could have saved some effort, but no matter! I hope the things I write are useful - to me they present interesting possibilities to make music. I've seen some great externs for PD at conferences that people keep to themselves, but I love open source because we all collaborate to make tools - or to update them - and ways to use them.

The release of listmoses was impulsive since I released a broken version (sorry!) but it's fixed I think, and I think it's useful so I posted it. It's meant to go with peakit~ so I posted that. The idea (eventually) is to make a McAuley-Quatieri partial tracking external for PD - I think it would be nice to have one of these, and it should eventually be a signal analysis/resynthesis combination of externs, rather like the lpc~/lpreson~ I did with Nico Chetry. The principle is something like Xavier Serra's SMS synthesis, but I think in order to make it efficient in real-time it may have to sacrifice some accuracy for efficiency. It has to work with whatever else we want to do in PD.

Right. Peakit v0.2 will be better once I have fixed the bugs, as it will give peak (maximum magnitude and corresponding frequency) values for normalisation, and enable swapping of the lists from right to left, so that bins can be segregated with listmoses according to frequency _or_ magnitude. Sorry about the listswap thing - it didn't work. I thought I'd saved the other patch but I must have got my versions mixed up - I cvs-ed the wrong pd patch! (fix tomorrow on this list). Peakit 0.3? well, I'd like to collaborate on that.

...but it is useful, if you like it!
Ed

Jamie Bullock <jamie at postlude.co.uk> wrote:
Well I'd find it extremely useful if it didn't do the same thing as my
peak~ external, which has already been available as part of the flib
library for a while now :)

I think peakit~ does have advantages over peak~ though in that it
doesn't actually require anything other than itself to give useful
output, whereas peak~ is more a small piece in a modular jigsaw...

Jamie

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 17:47 +0000, Ed Kelly wrote:
> --- Georg Holzmann wrote:
>
> > what is it good for ?
> Well, It's up to you whether you use it or not.
> It might be useful with listmoses if you want to
> isolate particular harmonics in live sound and use
> them to control other things outside of the signal
> domain, or if you want to find the most prominent
> partial in a signal. I mainly published it because
> others on the list said they were interested (after I
> put up listmoses).
>
> Ed

->
->