[PD] Messages in an external

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 3 17:19:24 CET 2005

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>>I use outlet_float() in an external to output messages. How often
>>>is it allowed to send a message in a loop? I didn't find anything
>>>about it...
>>
>>the built-in "stack overflow" counter allows a recursion of
>>1000/(#obj involved)
>

> not exactly ... the 1000 frames recursion depth is used by devel ...
> iirc miller's version is limiting the recursions by stack size ... so
> it would depend on the objects ...

öhm, dat's why i put the (#obj involved) term into my "equation": it
means "number of objects involved".
this means that it is not a real "recursion depth". (and sometimes it

> but a construction like:
> for (int i = 0; i != infinity; ++i)
> 	outlet_float()
>
> is an iteration, not a recursion ... so there is no limit (except the

this is correct.

i was dummified by the "loop" (as in "message loop") and thus was
immediately thinking of recursion.

> speed of the machine) ... the |until| object is working this way ...

well, the speed of the machine does _not_ effect the maximum allowed
number of loop-iterations. (however, if you are doing audio at the same
time, you might consider a fast machine and a larger audiobuffer to
avoid clicks)

i guess the only limitation is the size of the counter.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes