Re: Video Librarys (Was: [PD] [Newbie] Hello…)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Nov 4 18:52:51 CET 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Paul Sellis wrote:
> Le 3 nov. 05 à 16:18, Max Neupert a écrit :
> > > - Pure Data is "more powerfull" than Max/MSP for video ?
> > you can't ask this question like this.
> > you rather could compare Gem and Jitter...
> Yes you are right.
> Please could someone tell me about Gem vs Jitter ? In general and in my
> purpose : In my project, I'd like to make a video projection composed yb
> up to 9 resized (downscaled) DV movies.

This depends much more upon the video decoders than on Gem or Jitter. On
Linux you don't have the original Apple Quicktime. There are compatible
decoders but they have some limitations.

If you are going to do any effects on those videos in realtime you should
say what you want to do because Gem differs very much from Jitter.

There are also other video systems available for Pd, namely GridFlow and
PDP.